Since ADHD presents itself as a neurological problem, many patients and parents reported benefits from chiropractic care and dietary changes as an alternative to drugs. This is quite feasible since the goal of chiropractic treatments are to correct nervous system issues and eliminate brain interferences.
Symptoms Associated with ADHD
Generally, people with ADHD suffer from some or all of the following:
- Being easily distracted and having trouble paying attention to details
- Inability to sit still or concentrate for any length of time
- Impulsive thoughts
- Noises or external activities may more easily draw one’s attention
- Inability to stop moving body parts such as hands or feet
First Approaches to Curbing ADHD Symptoms
Lifestyle changes as well as changes in diet are often the first step to reducing ADHD or ADHD-like symptoms. Children who have some of the following changes made see positive improvements:
- The removal of preservatives from the diet
- Increasing consumption of organic foods
- Being tested to find out if the child has an allergy (e.g., gluten, dairy, food dyes)
- The removal of all unnecessary sugar from the diet
- Removal of non-organic cleaning agents around the home
These choices might be a smart move anyway, whether or not the child has ADHD.
ADHD – How is it usually treated?
Common treatments for ADHD tend to include the use of psychotropic drugs.
Methylphenidate is a very commonly prescribed drug for ADHD, which you may more readily recognize as Ritalin®.
This schedule II substance, when taken improperly, can produce reactions in people that’s not terribly dissimilar to that of cocaine or other amphetamines. This, as you might imagine, prompts many concerned parents to seek out different ADHD treatments for their children.
Chiropractic Adjustments as an Alternative for ADHD Treatments
Rather than looking to drugs, which may permanently alter the structure of the brain, some parents choose to seek out disturbances to the child’s nervous system—in these cases, it’s often found that the child has a problem in the upper neck or back. Some believe that these kinds of problems can cause and be responsible for ADHD-like symptoms. These kinds of problems can be discovered with a chiropractic examination from a medical professional. If a distortion is found in your child’s spine, having them treated is probably a very smart idea.
Find Out More
Parents simply want their children to be happy and healthy. If your child is showing ADHD-like symptoms or has been given an ADHD diagnosis, consider all of your options—including chiropractic treatments.
Call our practice today for an evaluation by one of our Doctors!